Sunday, February 15, 2015

Critters and Mission Possible, and an attempt at poetry

Student, student, quite adjutant, how do you grow?
With reading and thinking, discussing and writing, and presenting all in a row

lame, I know, but at least I tried;-) And it stems from garden poetry.


Thanks to those who turned in their first essay on time! Please complete them if you have not already.

Thank you Alina for the presentation on seeing the whole picture vs. just part of the picture. Tying that in to the restored gospel was excellent (great minds think alike:-). And it is generally true that we cannot draw an accurate conclusion if we don't have the whole picture.

Last week we discussed livestock and many of their benefits. I love the part from Old Yeller when the father tells Travis that the only time we ought to feel sorry for someone/thing that dies is if they hadn't completed their earthly mission and that the mission of the pigs was to get big and fat and feed their family. Even though I know that we will eat our animals when they are no longer productive for milk and eggs, I still get a lot of pleasure of fussing over them. They have a happy life here! And knowing that animals have to be treated right in order to be most productive has taught me to be a better gentler person.
We also discussed Caddie Woodlawn and Mission. Mission, with a capital M: if it is using our personal gifts and talents to do something great that God needs us to do in our unique way, then it behooves us to develop our gifts and talents! Remember your Patriarchal Blessing as a valuable resource for gift/talent/Mission guidance.

Assignments:
A. Read The Law by Bastiat
B. Habits:
  • Core Book Studies
  • Math Lessons
  • Write daily in Log Book
  • Garden (planning, prep, familiarizing self with seed/start requirements, starting     some seeds indoors, some things can be planted outside around now i.e. peas and potatoes although I usually wait until March 1st, etc)
C. Plan to eat quick and meet at the front doors at 12:15 . Please wear outdoor clothing and bring work/garden gloves this Thursday so you can be comfortable while we do some gardening next door. I don't know about you, but I had to put all that in my dayplanner.
D. Presentations and essays: none due this week, unless you didn't complete the first essay yet.

1 comment:

  1. I won't be there tomorrow, bu I had something I wanted to say relating to Mission. I mentioned I had a few weird pets when I was younger (python, tarantula, scorpion, etc). I look back at that now and realize I was attention seeking: because I had nothing of value going on in my life. I was going to college, but I wasn't developing talents or skills or pursuing a real education, I was just playing the game of getting a diploma to get a job to make more money. Actually I'm not even sure I thought it out any further than get a diploma because that was what was expected. Anyway, I hope you all pursue your interests and truly develop yourselves/gifts/talents, help others and do worthy things in life, the things God wants you to do...so you don't have to resort to meaningless stunts to feel special and valuable.
    -Teacher Ottosen

    ReplyDelete